Saturday, March 1, 2014

Through the Eyes of Middle School Students - Part I

The martial art of Bushintai-Do, created for use in schools as a structured recess, a series of brainbreaks or energizers, an after school program, or as a Middle Level Teacher Advisory activity, has three standards for success: Do your best. Show respect. Practice self-control. 

These rules-to-live-by are woven into the movement activities and lessons of Bushintai-Do for the Classroom. In this way, students make both a physical and mental connection to their meanings.  In some classrooms, students write weekly journal entries or reflective essays about their experiences with learning this martial art and these writings are one of the requirements for a belt promotion. By writing, students think more deeply about the philosophical components of their training and how these relate to their lives outside of the classroom "dojo." 

In honor of Middle Level Education month, celebrated this March, Bushintai-Programs will publish weekly words of wisdom from middle schoolers who practice Bushintai-Do, the "way of the warrior in mind and body." As mentioned in a previous blog post, Bill Ayers reminds us that “teachers must understand that even as they teach, they will also be taught.  Even as they help others develop, they will, themselves, change and grow.” In this spirit, let us learn from our middle schoolers:

Do Your Best
from Sujit
Two of the authors pose for a photo.
Doing your best is the one of the rules in Bushintai-Do. When you do your best you will accomplish a lot in life. We have to focus on the forms and on what Sensei teaches us. If you keep doing your best, you will you understand different kinds of belt forms, like yellow, orange, and purple, and self-defense techniques. Doing your best will play an important role in your future and in your life... 
When you do Bushintai-Do, your body gets active and healthy. To make your body healthy, you have to do the exercises like you mean it. In Bushintai-Do, you have to control yourself to focus on the work. Doing your best does not just mean to do what you can, you have to make it better every time. Doing your best is very important in Bushintai-Do.
Show Respect
from Najla
Showing respect is about being kind and calm, focused and open-minded. Most of the time I show respect to myself and others. I show respect by listening and paying attention and not interrupting. I also show respect by participating and not complaining. 
When I practice Bushintai-Do, I always participate and listen and I never make fun of anyone trying to learn something new. I understand that it is important to be safe. I am always trying, but I’m not too hard on myself. Sometimes I complain about doing it which doesn't help or isn't positive. 
I understand that showing respect is important. Respect is important so you don’t get in trouble and you must show respect to get respect. Respecting myself helps me understand everything and everyone.
Practice Self-Control in Mind and Body
from Xavier
Self-control is the main key of Bushintai-Do. Self-control means relaxation, along with focus and slow breathing. In Bushintai-Do, self-control leads to being healthy and persistent. In other areas of life, self-control leads to success. 
I remember when I wasn't focused and I didn't get a Bushintai-Do class credit. I was upset, but when I focused, I got the credit. Bushintai-Do gives me a chance to calm down and focus on what is important: School and concentration. I have lowered my energy and Bushintai-Do forms and techniques have helped. I believe Bushintai-Do will help me in the long run. In other words, it will help me mellow out and bring success in fulfilling my dreams. 
I realized that when you use self-control, you get more things completed, especially when you pay attention in class. It adds to the success. I learned how important self-control is in reality. Without self-control, we wouldn't understand anything and we wouldn't know how to learn. We wouldn't care because we couldn't control our bodies. Self-control is the "way of the warrior in mind and body." 
Nancy Keller, Education Coordinator

Bushintai-Do Programs, Inc.

Milton, Vermont  

Teacher at Winooski Middle/High School 

Winooski, Vermont

No comments: